Mushrooms have been used by Chinese Medicine for centuries for their health benefits. Here in America, we use them mostly for their culinary uses. Of the 3,000 edible versions, button mushrooms are the most popular species eaten here. You might be surprised to find out that they are not only delicious but quite healthy as well.
The Magic of Mushrooms
- Contain essential amino acids and important minerals, such as selenium, copper, potassium and zinc
- Are low in sodium and fat Enhance the activity of the immune system
- Are a good source of B vitamins
- Are high in anti-oxidants
- Help reduce the risk of breast and prostate cancer
- Naturally contain Vitamin D
Easy Mushroom Sauce
This sauce cooks up very quickly and is quite delicious. Great on just about anything that calls for a good sauce.
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced (we put in 3 cloves, but we are the garlic-loving sort)
- 8 oz pkg. button mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp flour
- Heat oil up in skillet.
- Sauté onion, garlic and mushrooms until mushrooms turn brown.
- Stir in vegetable broth and flour.
- Simmer on low until thickened. Add more flour if necessary.