Why have we heard that saying our whole lives, “breakfast is the most important meal of the day”? Because it is! Eating a good healthy breakfast in the morning fuels you throughout the day by aiding with concentration and energy. People who eat a daily breakfast are more likely to boost their metabolism and maintain a healthy weight, rather than storing calories.
When I was a kid, I would eat pretty much anything for breakfast. Of course it was never traditional foods like fruit, cereal or eggs. I would heat up the leftovers from the night before and chow down.
Now, I still eat breakfast every morning without fail. But as I got older, I decided to go back to eggs and veggies. Here are a few simple and quick breakfast meal ideas, great for people on the go:
- Scrambled eggs with fresh, in-season veggies. When you do your weekly grocery shopping, pick up a few onions, peppers, tomatoes or anything seasonal like yellow squash or zucchini. Whisk 2-3 eggs up, add the veggies and serve with a slice of sprouted wheat bread or a warm tortilla. You can even use tofu if you’re allergic to eggs.
- Watermelon, honeydew or grapefruit with sprouted wheat bread and almond butter. Check out your weekly grocery inserts for specials on fruit. Maybe one week you can have melon and the next grapefruit for a little variety. Toast a slice or two of sprouted wheat bread and spread with almond butter, which is healthier for you than regular peanut butter.
- Fresh fruit salad. Cut up any fresh fruits you have in your refrigerator, including apples, blueberries, stawberries, pineapple and enjoy a chilled bowl of yummy fruit cocktail.
- Homemade breakfast burrito. This is one of my favorites and so easy to make! Take 1 large whole wheat tortilla, fill with rice and black beans, top with some low-fat cheese and heat for about 45 seconds-1 minute.
- Easy breakfast sandwich. Toast 1 sprouted wheat bagel, top with some lean ham or turkey, fresh tomatoes and onions.
How do you keep your energy up during the day?
Image via stock.xchng.