Crock-pot (aka Slow Cooker) recipes and crock pots are probably one of the best inventions to save us cooking time – prepare your ingredients, mix them into the crock pot, and just leave it on all day while you go to work or do other chores. When you get home, your crock-pot recipe is done and ready to be served.
Slow cooker meals are a great way to have a nutritious meal handy for the entire family. This helps keep everyone on track to enjoy a healthy meal instead of grabbing that phone to order take out. How about making a big batch of healthy soup or stew for convenient freezing and reheating? Here are some of our favorite slow cooker recipes that are healthy and delicious.
Slow Cooker Winter Vegetable Stew
2 cans (14.5 oz each) organic diced tomatoes with Italian herbs, undrained
4 medium red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
4 medium stalks celery, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (2 cups)
3 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (1 1/2 cups)
2 medium parsnips, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 medium leeks, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 can (14 oz) vegetable broth or 1 3/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves
3 tablespoons cornstarch
3 tablespoons cold water
1. In 4- to 5-quart slow cooker, place all ingredients except cornstarch and water.
2. Cover; cook on Low heat setting 8 to 10 hours or until vegetables are tender.
3. Mix cornstarch and water; gradually stir into stew until blended. Increase heat setting to High; cover and cook about 20 minutes longer, stirring occasionally, until thickened.
Nutritional Information per serving
Calories 170, Fat 1/2g, Fiber 5g, Protein 4g
Chunky Chicken Stew
Makes 8 servings.
* 1 yellow or white onion, coarsely chopped
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into large chunks
* 3 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into large cubes
* 1 lb carrots, cut into 1″ pieces
* 3 cans (15 oz each) reduced-sodium vegetable broth
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 1/2 cup ketchup
* 1 box (10 oz) frozen peas, thawed
* 3/4 lb whole green beans
* 3 tbsp worcestershire sauce
* 1 tsp hot paprika
* 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
* 1/2 tsp red-pepper flakes
- Place onion, garlic, and chicken in 4-quart or larger slow cooker. Stir in potatoes, carrots, broth, salt, and ketchup.
- Cover. Cook on low 4 to 6 hours, or until potatoes and carrots are tender.
- Add remaining ingredients. Cover. Cook 1 more hour.
Nutritional Facts per serving
Calories 205, Fat 0.8 grams, Fiber 6.3 grams, Protein 18 grams.
Have a great slow cooker recipe to share? Let us know! You can also find great healthy slow cooker recipes via The Healthy Slow Cooker book.